With the construction of the pilothouse and trawler mast/hoist complete, I took advantage of the nice weather this weekend to install the components onto the Compac 16. It was quite a leap to take the sawzall to my beloved ship, but all worked out well and I am very pleased with the end result. Steps to install the pilothouse are outlined below.
- Next I filed the mating surfaces of the pilothouse and the cabin roof. There were many times taking the pilothouse off and putting it back on....good exercise and probably a sore back tomorrow.
- When I was happy with the fit, I drilled the bolt holes through the pilothouse flange and into the fiberglass roof.
- Then I cleaned the surfaces off, layed down silicone bedding compound, set the pilothouse on, and bolted it down.
- With that done, I put the trawler mast and hoist in place and rigged them in place with Dyneema standing rigging.
- The outrigger poles and bases were installed
- The downrigger bases feature quick-pins that allow them to be quickly installed and removed.