Building a Model of the Disney Motor Launch from Scratch
After seeing these fun boats plying the waters of the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake last week in Orlando, I decided to build a model of one. These graceful, cheery boats were built by Morgan Yachts in Clearwater Florida in the early 1970's. They are built to look like a steam launch but have diesel engines in them. The very skilled skippers of these water taxis pilot the boats around the lakes between Disney World Magic Kingdom and the resorts nearby. I spoke with one of the captains, who advised that the boats draft about 3.5ft and are about 41.5ft long and are loosely based on a Morgan 41 hull. I will design the model in Fusion 360, and will print the parts in PLA plastic on my Prusa i3MK3S 3D printer. Then I will sand, paint and assemble the model. A photo of the finished model is below, followed by the build log.
First I found a drawing of a Morgan 41 and then I scaled dimensions from many photos that I took of the boats. From these references I created a CAD 3D model of the boat in Fusion 360. I designed the model with about 62 individually printed parts. There is quite a bit of detail so it will be interesting to see how detailed the printer can print.
As I worked on the CAD model, I began printing parts, and I checked the fit of parts as I went. I needed to change dimensions of parts slightly in order to get the parts to fit easily.
I am not 3D design or printing pro, but for a very very basic intro into how I got started in 3D printing, you may visit this page.
I will be painting all these parts, but will print them all up first and then I will start with sanding, assembly and painting.
After finishing the 3D model in Fusion 360 I completed printing the parts. While printing the parts I learned which orientation to print them in and how to print them best. In the end, I wound up with 69 printed parts which I will now sand/paint/assemble.
So at this point I have printed 75 individual parts for the model of the Disney Water Taxi, also known as the Disney Motor Launch. Most of the spray painting of the individual pieces is done, so now I will begin assembly.