A fully rigged ship in a bottle?!! How did that ship get in there?
Ships in bottles are magical works of art to look at in wonder. Here be the build journal of a ship in a bottle. How do these ships get into the bottles? Well here is the quick version..
- The craftsman builds a ship with sails of Chinese silk, ropes made from spider webs, palo santo masts, and a hull of magical wormwood.
- The finished ship fully rigged, must fit into the opening and through the neck of the bottle. This usually means that the total height of the ship from the bottom of the keel to the top of the masts must be no bigger than 3/4" (19mm).
- The tiny ship is pushed into the opening, and then the bottle must be corked and thrown into the sea.
- If the bottle and ship toss and turn in the sea for long enough, and cross the equator enough times, they may swell in the bottle to a size that fills the bottle.
- A wanderer on a beach may find the bottle and marvel at the fine ship that will never again leave the bottle. Enjoy!
Now here I will document the detail of building my ship in a bottle. Mine is the Golden Yacht from Amati.